Thursday, March 15, 2007

"WE MARCH.... FOR HONOR'S SAKE.... FOR GLORY'S SAKE.... WE MARCH"


I saw 300 on Sunday night with a bunch a friends and I was quite entertained. The cinematic effects in the movie were incredible and the story line kept close to the graphic novel with a few exceptions, such as the addition of a few characters. I would definatly recomend going to see this move and I would suggest you read the graphic novel as well. I read the graphic novel before seeing the movie, since I recently started reading comics again. The graphic novel is split into 5 comics, or 5 parts if you have the trade paper back, and starts off a bit slow, but by the time you get through the 2nd book (or part if you have the tpb) you can not stop reading. Frank Miller truly created a work of art with 300, the use of two-page spreads through the entire novel just adds to the excellence of the book. The story is captivating as it tells the tale of a Spartan legend through the eyes of a Spartan storyteller, much like a story of folk lore. The artwork is excellent and the dialog is well written and ties the whole thing together. These elements that I admire from the graphic novel transfered to the big screen quite well. I could not stop staring at the screen while in the theatre, even though I already knew the story. A lot of the dialog from the graphic novel was inserted directly into the movie, which made watching the movie feel like i was watching a life action animated comic. Over all I am really impressed by this movie and think everyone should go see it.

No comments: